15 September 2016

REACTING TO A LETTER I WROTE TO MYSELF TWO YEARS AGO


Two years ago, during Religion class, my teacher told me and the rest of the students to write a letter to ourselves. She would keep it and send it to us in two years time. The idea of being able to talk to my future self was something I never thought of, so I was really excited. I remember wanting to write a very long letter, with loads of details in order to capture what was going on during that stage of my life. If I'm not mistaken she let us bring the letter home, finish it and then bring it back to her the next day.

I wanted this letter to be something that would make me think about myself and reconsider my goals in life. When I finished I sealed the envelope and wrote my address in front of it. I was sure that the day I received my own message I would feel proud of myself and I would realise that I had accomplished some stuff that looked as if it was impossible at that time. The next day at school I gave it to the teacher and then waited. For two years.

A week ago or so, my letter arrived to the mailbox, and believe me when I say it was an extremely awesome fantastic moment. I had very high expectations to read my own advice from a younger and less wiser self, and guess what? When I read it I kind of felt a bit disappointed. Everything I wrote back then didn't make me question anything about my present situation. The pages were filled with anecdotes and other stories that I thought were important by the time I was writing them, but now, they barely made sense. Of course I was glad to read it and I got a bit nostalgic, I also liked knowing what my thoughts were about certain people and other aspects related with studies, family and life in genera, but at the end of the day, the message wasn't "that big of a deal". It was good to know that I had accomplished some stuff I was planning on doing back then, and that I also wished that my future self would be as happy as I am now (which is a big achievement). 

I feel great knowing that I haven't disappointed the young girl who had big plans (and is still working on them).

The point is, even if my intentions were good, the result could have been better, but I don't care, because all the enthusiasm was worth it. I don't know many people who can say that they have received a letter from themselves and after reading it they are proud of who they are and who they used to be. One of my biggest fears when I started writing mine, two years ago, was to aim to high for myself, to write things that could make me feel bad depending on the time that I read the letter. However, nothing of this happened. I wrote everything I wanted and still, it turned out fine. 

Now I'm planning on writing another one... Anyone wants to join?

4 comments:

  1. Yeeees I do want to join!!!! It seems like an extremely good idea. Believe it or not, a few days ago I also received a letter from my younger self and it kind of disappointed me as well; not because of how my life has evolved this last two years but because I thought that what I had written back then would be really deep and spiritual but it turned to be kind of superficial and girly. It won't happen again!

    Smurf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! what a coincidence...jujuju. I'm sure we both be able to write deeper things once we start writing the other letter to ourselves. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Love from
      Cecil

      Delete
  2. Hey,
    Your writing is great and so powerful with life. When I've read that I felt the feelings of you've writing about. Yeah, I would like to join this I call it "writing letters for you in the future" . It sounds like a really wonderful idea. Love, Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love writing letters to myself- I do it in my journal sometimes, but I also have a kit just for writing more official letters to myself about special things. Neat post-- I liked hearing your reaction to your own letter. I found your blog on TBC, looks like you have some pretty cool posts :) Not to mention your photos are so aesthetic.
    -Vivian
    http://moonsworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete