5 September 2016

18 THINGS I'VE LEARNED IN 18 YEARS

I did this kind of post when I turned seventeen last year, and I think it is time that I do it again, because now I'm one year older, so here it is. These are some of the things I've learned in the past few years (I'll try not to repeat myself):


1. You can do anything but not everything: you are capable of doing lots of things, but in order to accomplish what you really want you need to prioritise. Choose what you want to do and focus all your energy into it.

2. Working hard isn't always enough: yes, I contradict myself. You can't be good at everything, even if you put a lot of effort into it. Sometimes it has to do with talent, sometimes it doesn't. Example: I will never be an amazing football player, even if I try my best because I have never been a sporty girl and my body isn't appropriate for these kind of games. The point is to find the things that you can be good at if you work hard on them.

2. Sing out loud until you have no voice and dance like nobody is watching until your feet hurt, because, why not?

3. Quality over quantity: would you rather have a diamond or a bunch of trashy jewellery? I think you all know what I mean.

4. Don't take anything for granted, work hard to keep what you already have, whether its people, your job... Take care of your friends and family, let them know that they are more than "just another friend", that they really matter to you. Make everyone you love feel special.

5. Be the best version of yourself.


6. Read novels and poetry, Sometimes you'll discover a side of yourself that you weren't aware of before.

7. It is okay not to have everything figured out at the age of 18, even when you're 25 and you have no clue about what you want to do, there's no need to panic. Life is a process and (as I always say) the best is yet to come.

8. Do good and good will come to you: no matter what, be nice to people, even if they were rude to you at some stage in their lives. I'm still working on that, but I think it is very important to be "the good one" since you never know when you're going to need someone in a determined situation.

9. Take care of your body: eat healthy, drink water and all that kind of stuff because you're going to live "inside" it until you die (does that make sense?).

10. "Having fun" doesn't involve getting drunk. It's okay to have some crazy nights or whatever you want to call them, but that doesn't mean that it always has to be like this. Get out and find something amazing to do and enjoy during your teenage years: climb trees, have deep talks on a rooftop, throw yourself into a pool fully dressed... Be creative and live life to the fullest.

11. Don't be afraid to take risks because at the end of the day, you're most likely to regret the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. Follow your intuition whenever you feel like it.


12. Changes aren't easy, but the more you change, the easier it will be for you to get used to new situations. 

13. Put yourself first, and no, it is not selfish. You have to be okay with yourself before loving others.

14. Listen to people, it is the key to learning. It's very hard for me to say that, as I am a very talkative person, however, when you take time to listen to other people's thoughts you see that (sometimes) they have very interesting things to share.

15. Find things to look forward to (ex: a holiday, an special date...), this way your life will be more exciting.

16. Treat triumph and disaster the same way (yes, I'm quoting a Kippling's poem)

17. Learn to diminish the importance of things. Maybe now you make a big deal out of something (example: can't afford going to your favourite singer's concert), but at the end of the day you'll realise that it wasn't that much. 

18. Do whatever makes you feel happy and free and never forget that you are still young.

PS: For some strange reason all the comments on the blog have disappeared and I'm very sad, if someone knows how could have happened, please tell me :)

Best of luck,
xx Cecil

4 comments:

  1. Love reading this!! Definitely these are really good points!! thanks for sharing:D

    http://laurasavenue.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'll have a look at your blog.

      xx Cecil

      Delete
  2. Hello Cecil!
    I really liked the post! Specially number 10.... :) About number 17.... well, well, well it IS kind of a big deal not being able to go to the US to watch Sam Hunt!
    Love,

    Smurf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there little smurf, nice to see you around. Yeah, I know what you mean, I didn't think of sam hunt when I wrote number 10, that IS SUCH A BIG DEAL, we gotta fix that.

      xx Cecil

      Delete