21 August 2015

LET'S TALK ABOUT FEMINISM

We all have heard the word "feminism". Everything started thanks to Emma Watson, yes, the well known Hermione Granger. As a Harry Potter fan, I was watching some interviews on YouTube when I came across a speech that did for the United Nations regarding a project called HeForShe. This project is about rasing awareness amongst men to fight for equality between genres (I'm not sure if I support the point of the campaign... maybe I'll do a separate post about it).

At first I used to think that, if  a male chauvinist is somebody who denigrates females in the belief that they are inferior, a feminist would be someone who thinks that women are superior to men and stands up for it. WRONG. Since "feminist" means:

The advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes

I consider myself a proud feminist. Then I wondered: "If feminism doesn't mean what I thought, there may be another word that describes so". WRONG again. I don't think there is any word to describe something that has never existed (if so, tell me in the comments!)

On the 8th of March we celebrate the International Woman's Day, but one day doesn't change much. Feminists have been fighting for decades and, although there has been a huge change, there are countries were women don't have the right to vote, decide what do they want to do with their body or even choose who they want to marry. Just because this situation isn't happening where you live, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. 

However, this "problem" does not only affect to women, remember, we're talking about equality, so why is not accepted for men to cry? Or why do they always have to put a brave face? Why can't they show their feelings without being judged or called "weak"? Why most of the times, men can't get the custody of their children after getting divorced? These are just some examples. As you can see there's a lot of work to do, society has also made huge damage and those influences have left scars.

I'm still a very young woman (can I consider myself a woman?), I haven't my own belifs yet (working on it) and I'm constantly trying to learn as much as possible. I'm very open minded and this sujbect is something that has truly inspired me. This is just a general idea but I really want to go in depth and really get involved in the movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment